Original Title in English
By Author His Holiness the Dalai Lama
About the Book:
About the Book:
According to His Holiness the Dalai Lama, we each posess the ability to achieve happiness and a meaningful life, but the key to realizing that goal is self-knowledge. In "How to See Yourself as You Really Are", the Dalai Lama shows readers how to recognize and dispel misguided notions of self and embrace the world from a more realistic - and loving - perspective.
Through illuminating explanations and step-by-step exercises. His Holiness helps readers to see the world as it actually exists and explains how, through the interconnection of meditative concentration and love, true altruistic enlightenment is attained.
About the Authors:
His Holiness the Fourteenth Dalai Lama Tenzin Gyatso was born in 1935 to a peasant family in northeastern Tibet. The world's foremost Buddhist leader, he travels extensively, speaking eloquently in favor of ecumenical understanding, kindness and compassion, respect for the environment and, above all, world peace.
Jeffrey Hopkins, Ph. D. served for a decade as the interpreter for the Dalai Lama. A Buddhist scholar and the author of more than thirty-five books and translations, he is emeritus professor for Tibetan and Buddhist studies at the University of Virginia.
Part I: The Need for Insight
1. Laying the Ground for Insight to Grow
2. Discovering the Source of Problems
3. Why Understanding the Truth is Needed
Part II: How to Undermine Ignorance
4. Feeling the Impact of Interrelatedness
5. Appreciating the Reasoning of Dependent-Arising
6. Seeing the Interdependence of Phenomena
Part III: Harnessing the Power of Concentration and Insight
8. Focusing Your Mind
9. Tuning Your Mind for Meditation
Part IV: How to End Self-Deception
10. Meditating on Yourself First
11. Realizing That You Do Not Exist in and of Yourself
12. Determining the Choices
13. Analyzing Oneness
14. Analyzing Difference
15. Coming to a Conclusion
16. Testing Your Realization
17. Extending This Insight to What You Own
18. Balancing Calm and Insight
Part V: How Persons and Things Actually Exist
19. Viewving Yourself As Like an Illusion
20. Noticing How Everything Depends on Thought
Part VI: Deepening Love with Insight
21. Feeling Empathy
22. Reflecting on Impermanence
23. Absorbing Yourself in Ultimate Love
Selective Readings by Authors:
HH The Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso. Translated and Edited J. Hopkins.
- How to Expand Love: Widening the Circle of Loving Relationships. New York: Atria Books, Simon & Schuster, 2005.
- How to Practice: The Way to a Meaningful Life. New York: Atria Books, Simon & Schuster, 2002.
- Kindness, Clarity, and Insight. Coedited by Elizabeth Napper. Ithaca, New York: Snow Lion Publications, 1984, rev. ed. 2006.
- The Meaning of Life: Buddhist Perspectives on Cause and Effect. Boston: Wisdom Publications, 2000.
- Mind of Clear Light: Advice on Living Well and Dying Consciously. New York: Atria Books, Simon & Schuster, 2002.
- Buddhist Advice for Living and Liberation: Nagarjuna's Precious Garland. Ithaca, NY: Snow Lion Publications, 1998.
- Cultivating Compassion. NY: Broadway Books, 2001.
- Emptiness Yoga. Ithaca, NY: Snow Lion Publications, 1987.
- Meditation on Emptiness. London: Wisdom Publications, 1983. rev. ed. Boston: Wisdom Publications, 1996.
Geshe Sonam and Ruth Sonam Rinchen
- Yogic Deeds of Bodhisattvas: Gyel-tsap on Aryadeva's Four Hundred. Ithaca, NY: Snow Lion Publications, 1994.
- The Great Treatise on the Stages of the Path to Enlightenments. Vol. 1-3. Translated and edited by W. C. Cutler and Guy Newland. Ithaca, NY: Snow Lion Publications, 2000 & 2003.
Vesna A and B. Alan Wallace
- A Guide to the Bodhisattva Way of Live. Ithaca, NY: Snow Lion Publications, 1997.
YourVietBooks is a collection of books on Vietnam for Readers who are interested in Vietnam's History, Culture, Language, Business & Management. Titles are available in English, French, German and Vietnamese.
YourVietBooks is a Division of Saigon Business Corporation Pte Ltd - Singapore.
Find out more about our translation and consulting services under YourVietnamExpert.com