Books on Sociology, Contemporary Sociological Theory, Guide to Writing Sociology Papers, Social and Economic Organisation Theory
Note by ATA: Starting a new series on Research Methodology, my professor had recommended Marx, Durkheim and Weber. Here is a selection of books written on the subject. You can find some of them on audible.fr audiobooks.
Marx, Durkheim, Weber: Formations of Modern Social Thought [Paperback],
Kenneth Morrison (Author)
Book Description: This Second Edition is a thoroughly revised, expanded version of the bestselling student text in classical social theory. Author Kenneth Morrison provides an authoritative, accessible undergraduate guide to the three pivotal figures in the classical tradition. Readable and stimulating, the Second Edition of Marx, Durkheim, Weber: Formations of Modern Social Thought explains the key ideas of these thinkers and situates them in their historical and philosophical contexts.
Max Weber: Readings and Commentary on Modernity (Modernity and Society)[Paperback], Max Weber (Author), Stephen Kalberg (Editor)
Book Description: This unique volume gathers Weber's writings on a broad array of themes, from the nature of work, to the political culture of democracy, to the uniqueness of the West, to the character of the family and race relations, to the role of science and the fate of ethical action in the modern world. This book
- Gathers Weber’s writings in a comprehensive collection, organized by topic.
- Rejuvenates a central, pivotal theme of Weberian thought: "How do we live?" and "How can we live in the industrial society?”
- Connects Weber’s writings to contemporary issues through modern essays and editorial introductions.
Book Description: Ideal for instructors and students in a wide range of sociological courses, this guide makes the case that thinking and writing are integrally related and that writing, therefore, exercises the sociological imagination. Written in a clear and conversational style, A Guide to Writing Sociology Papers examines a wide range of writing assignments for sociology courses at all levels of the curriculum. Employing a variety of writing samples as a means to illustrate effective writing, this brief and inexpensive text teaches students how to deftly research and write about sociology.
Classical and Contemporary Sociological Theory: Text and Readings [Paperback], Scott A. Appelrouth (Author), Laura D. (Desfor) Edles (Author)
Book Description: Classical and Contemporary Sociological Theory is a “hybrid” between a core textbook and a primary source reader. This book builds on the authors’ Sociological Theory in the Classical Era and Sociological Theory in the Contemporary Era, to combine the major writings of sociology’s core classical and contemporary theorists with an historical and theoretical framework for understanding them. It provides not just a biographical and theoretical summary of each theorist/reading, but, in addition, an overarching scaffolding which students can use to examine, compare, and contrast each theorists’ major themes and concepts. No other theory text combines such “student-friendly” explanation and analysis with original theoretical works.
From Max Weber: Essays in Sociology [Paperback], Max Weber (Author), H. H. Gerth (Editor, Translator), C. Wright Mills (Editor, Translator)
About the Author: Max Weber (1864-1920) was a German political economist and sociologist who is considered one of the founders of the modern study of sociology and public administration.
- "Weber is essential to an understanding of sociological theory, and this is the quintessential Weber--a gold mine of insights into the workings of society."--Leslie Wasson, University of South Florida
- "Still the best compilation of texts by Weber."--Peter Jelavich, University of Texas, Austin
- "Wonderful....A classic for teaching modern EUuropean intellectual and cultural history."--Marjorie Beale, University of California
- "An excellent collection of papers from Max Weber. This is must reading for students of sociology."--Sronja Szelenyi, Stanford University
- "Still the single best book by and about Max Weber."--Terry Boswell, Emory University
- "The writings selected are representative of a wide range of the author's exceedingly verstaile and comprehensive studies."--Talcott Parsons, Annals of the American Academy of Political Science
- "A good and accessible compilation of Weber's major themes."--Laurel Kearns, Agnes Scott College
- "A good, solid anthology; wide-ranging in its contents and should be standard in many sociology courses."--Gregory O'Dea, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
- "Superb collection of key texts!"--Szonja Szelenyi, Stanford University
The Theory of Social and Economic Organization Paperback, by Max Weber (Author) , A. M. Henderson (Author) , Talcott Parsons (Editor)
Book Description: 2012 Reprint of Original 1947 Edition. Exact facsimile of the original edition, not reproduced with Optical Recognition Software. ©New Foreword Martino Publishing. This volume contains a full and representative statement of Max Weber's sociological theory, drawn from important publications never previously translated. The book opens with a discussion of the analytical methods of sociology and an application of these methodological conclusions to the broadest classification of social relationship and groups. Nearly half the volume is devoted to a further elaboration of this scheme in the field of economic activity. The typology is copiously illustrated with material from many periods of history and parts of the world. Chapters include: The Fundamental Concepts of Sociology Sociological Categories of Economic Action The Types of Authority and Imperative Co-ordination The Transformation of Charisma in an Anti-Authoritarian Direction Social Stratification and Class Structure
The Marx-Engels Reader (Second Edition) [Paperback], Karl Marx (Author), Friedrich Engels (Author), Robert C. Tucker (Editor)
Book Description: This revised and enlarged edition of the leading anthology provides the essential writings of Marx and Engels--those works necessary for an introduction to Marxist thought and ideology.
YourVietBooks recommends books and articles on and about Vietnam. Categories include: Culture, History, Vietnam War, Politics, Biographies, Contemporary Vietnam, International Relations, Doing Business in Vietnam, Reference and Languages, Zen Buddhism, Philosophy, Art and Literature. Some articles are available only in English, French, German or Vietnamese. Our qualified and experienced translators can provide translations of e-books or articles on demand. Read more...
Samples of Translation | Our Translators | Need a quote? | Contact us